Your First Year in Office – The Fourth Quarter
Articles: Budget Related, Latest News
Perhaps it is appropriate that it is football season while we think about the importance of the calendar year’s fourth quarter for local governments. Like a football team, the groundwork that was laid in the first three quarters is essential, but it is equally important to keep your team focused on giving the same level of attention during the fourth and final quarter.
As we noted in our last article in this series, creating a budget you can live with for 2013 and completing each step on time is crucial to your success in the coming year.
By now your proposed budgets, tax rates and levies have been submitted for County Council review and published. County Councils had until October 1 to issue non-binding recommendations. Here’s what comes next:
- October 19 – Deadline to file an excess levy appeal with the Department of Local Government Finance (DLGF) (excluding shortfall appeal)
- October 22 – Deadline for public hearing on 2013 budget
- November 1- Deadline for budget adoption
- November 5 (or 2 days after adoption) – Deadline to submit 2013 adopted budgets to DLGF through its online Gateway system and provide a copy to the County Auditor if requested
- December 31 – Deadline to file a shortfall excess levy appeal with the DLGF
Budget forms must be completed on the Gateway budget program. Once your budget has been submitted through Gateway and certified by the DLGF, the information is available for public viewing. The DLGF’s deadline to certify budgets is February 15.
* Note: This is the general timetable. Exceptions and differences exist, such as for Appointed Boards and Special Districts. Please refer to the specific budget adoption requirements for your taxing unit.
It is always a good idea to have someone take a second look at your budget before its adoption, especially in view of the current budget complexities. If you have questions or need assistance in preparing your budget, please contact us at email@example.com.
Information in this article was believed current as of the date of publication. As you know, changes occur frequently. The information presented is of a general educational nature. Before applying to your specific circumstances, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.